The Concordia Historical Institute Seal

The Concordia Historical Institute seal is rich in symbolism. Created by L.W. Bendix Taenzer, the seal has been widely used since it was designed in the mid-1920s. It appears on the first issue of the CHI Quarterly (1928) and its symbolism is referred to in the editorial of a 1950 issue of the Quarterly:

The seal of the Institute will specifically direct him [the new editor] to the stories he is to help tell: the ship [1] which typifies our transoceanic origin, the Roman fasces [2] of the bond of synodical union in which there is strength, the Perry County log cabin [3], reminding him of the fortitude and vision of our Lutheran pioneers, and the seal of Luther [4], who as God's instrument restored the pure Gospel to men. (Vol. XXIII, No. 1, p. 39)

The artist, Mr. Taenzer, is also reported to have worked with Concordia Seminary on the stained glass designs found throughout the campus.

A Diagram of the CHI Seal

________________

Back to the Information About CHI Page

Copyright © 1998 Concordia Historical Institute